Installation guide for MintHCM
Preparing for installation
To install MintHCM you will need Linux or Windows platform, a web server with PHP installed and a database.
First step towards installation is downloading MintHCM to your server and preparing files to be installed. To do so, follow the steps:
- Download MintHCM zip file from https://minthcm.org/download/
- Copy the zip file to your server and unzip it in directory of your choice
- Change files permissions in that directory accordingly with your platform demands
For Ubuntu Linux/Apache it will be:
cd ../<yourMintHCMdirectory> sudo chown -R www-data:www-data * sudo chmod -R 755 *
where www-data are default user and group for Ubuntu Linux/Apache. However, it might have been changed on your server. Use the actual system user and group.
Installation of MintHCM
Once you have your files prepared, you can start actual installation. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Put following URL into your web browser:
The installation wizard will start now.
2. On the first screen you have to accept the license agreement. After that you can click next button.
3. In a moment another screen with system environment information will appear.
What is really important here is an instruction how to set up a Crontab, that allows MintHCM to perform actions in the background of your server. You should do this only after the installation is concluded.
To do so, you have to edit your web server user's crontab file. You can open it with a command:
sudo crontab -e -u www-data (or another actual user)
Now you have to add the following line to the crontab file:
* * * * * cd /var/www/MintHCM/MintHCM; php -f cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1
Note that Windows or other systems have different background processes mechanisms.
4. On the next screen you have to provide basic database configuration and administrator user data.
If your database is on the same server that MintHCM instance, you may put 'localhost' in Host Name field. If it is somewhere else, put there a proper host of your database.
MintHCM Database User is by default set to root. If you want to choose another user, change it here.
5. Set up your administrator user name and password, so you can log in MintHCM later.
In these screen you can also configure basic global settings of your MintHCM instance, such as email server settings, branding (including logo of your company), system settings (i.e. time and data format) and security options. All of those settings may be configured after the installation as well.
6. If everything was alright with data provided, installation will begin. It may take a while.
7. After installation is completed, you will see the last screen. Among others, it provides information of total time of installation and memory use.
After you click the finish button, installation will be finished and you can log in your MintHCM instance as admin with username and password set up during installation.
During the installation process some errors may occur.
This may occur, when files permissions were not change before the installation. Check your file permissions in MintHCM installation files directory, if necessary run commends provided below and start installation again.
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data * sudo chmod -R 755 *
or if this will not work, try:
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data . sudo chmod -R 755 .
Database could not be established
"The provided database host, username, and/or password is invalid, and a connection to the database could not be established. Please enter a valid host, username and password"
This error is most probably caused by invalid data provided by user, such as database host name or password. To solve this, double check your host, user name, password, etc. Also, check if your MintHCM Database user matches the actual user you can and want to use in this instance of MintHCM.
Config.php file is missing
This error may also be caused by file permission restrictions. You can check them and eventually restart installation. Or you can create config.php file manually.
To do so, just create config.php file in your MintHCM instance directory, paste the code form the installer and save the file. After that, you can go to your instance (i.e. through URL http://<yourServer>/<yourMintHCMdirectory>). The instance should be running and you should see basic configuration options after logging in.